Euxinograde is a former late 19th-century Bulgarian summer palace and park of the royal family on the Black Sea coast, 8 km north of the city of Varna. It is currently a governmental and presidential residence.
The area around Evksinograd, bearing the same name, is built up with summer houses, hotels, and restaurants. It is an elite summer house area with mild coastal climate and wide sandy beaches and it is only several kilometers away from the popular sea resorts on the Northern Black Sea Coast – St. Konstantine and St. Elena and Golden Sands.
The Euxinograde palace is one of the symbols of post-Liberation architecture in Bulgaria. It appears to have been taken from a book by Alexander Dumas, as if any moment musketeers may start pouring out of its doors and French windows to flood the beautiful shaped gardens.
In 1894 Prince Alexander I Battenberg invited Karl Eduard Petzold to design the residential park. Unfortunately, the completion of the project was interrupted by the dethronement of the Prince.
In 1890 his successor, Prince (later King) Ferdinand Saxe-Coburg, charged Eduard Andre with the completion of the park. The territory of the park was enlarged to 55 hectares and the central part reconstructed in the French style.
The elegant composition of the park is a skilful harmony between French and English styles. The spatial composition is remarkable, characterized by impressive light and shadow effects and the seasonal dynamics of both local and exotic vegetation. There are more than 45 coniferous varieties, 26 deciduous tree varieties and 22 evergreen shrub varieties, all native to southern France, Hungry, Algeria and Syria. The surrounding Black Sea landscape serves to further intensify the already magnificent visual perspectives.
The palace that was finally built and very often resided by Ferdinand Saxe-Coburg was made after the famous French Chateau de Saint-Cloud. The latter was the scene of some of the significant moments in French nineteenth century history, and most notably in Napoleonic history in that it saw the rise and fall of both the First and Second Empires. It was occupied in 1870 during the Franco-Prussian war and blown up by incendiary shells.
The ruins were raised in 1891 and stones were sold at auction. Tsar Ferdinand of Bulgaria bought the pediment of the right-hand wing of the chateau for his favourite palace in Euxinograde.
The lovely Euxinograde Park is surrounded by spectacular vineyards. Historians say they were selected and brought here by King Ferdinand himself, who was an avid naturalist. Here in this park is grown one of the most beautiful and tasty grapes in the world. The palace's wine cellar was created in 1891 for the needs of the Bulgarian royal family and takes up two underground floors. It still produces high-quality white wine (12 varieties) and brandy (7 varieties). The wine produced in the palace nowadays is thought of as one of the best in Bulgaria and are world famous, too, especially the Chardonnay. The Euxinograde cellar also preserves valuable 125-year-old French wines from the Liberation of Bulgaria.
Euxinograde also has a former royal stable called Shtala (from German Stall).
The roads in Euxinogradе are in an excellent condition. Regular public transportation is available to downtown the city of Varna, the international airport, the railway station, the bus station and the quarters, as well as to the resorts Golden Sands and St. Constantine and Helena.
The following bus-lines are serving the area: 8, 9, 109, 209, 309, 409.
Pictures: Mirela and internet