Razgrad is a city in northeastern Bulgaria and the capital of Razgrad Province, built upon the ruins of the Ancient Roman town of Abritus on the banks of the Beli Lom. Razgrad has one of the dense Turkish populations in Bulgaria, with 27% of the municipality's citizens declaring to be Turks in 1998. A majority of 69% are Bulgarians, with the remaining 4% being composed for the most part of Roma.
Razgrad's climate characterizes with cold winter while the summer is dry and hot.
Razgrad is known as a centre of the pharmaceutical industry. The leading enterprise is the "Balkanpharma - Razgrad" JSC.
In 251, the town was the site of the Battle of Abrittus, during which the Goths defeated a Roman army under the emperors Trajan Decius and Herennius Etruscus. The battle is notable for being the first occasion of a Roman emperor being killed in a battle with barbarians.
The town of Razgrad has an ancient history dating back two thousand years ago. Then two kilometres to the East of the present town there was a Thracian settlement. Today only the strong stone walls of the fortress and over thirty exhibits kept at the local historical museum remind of the glory of the ancient culture of the region. The world famous Golden Pegasus, the biggest late ancient treasure of 835 gold coins, the Bronze bust of a Negro girl and many others are among them. Nowadays the remnants of the ancient Abritus town have become one of the most attractive national tourist sites in Bulgaria.
The years to follow are marked by the rise and fall of the Bulgarian State. During the Middle Ages and the Renaissance the town developed as an important economic and military centre within the boundaries of the Ottoman Empire. There are a lot of archeological monuments that speak of the glory and mighty of the region: the Ibrachim Pasha Mosque - one of the largest and most beautiful in Bulgaria, the St. Nikola Church – the first domed built basilica in 1860, the clock tower (1864) - the symbol of Razgrad.
Razgrad is the place of birth of a number of outstanding Bulgarian pianists, composers, painters, men of arts and literature. The complex "Varosha" keep all contributions to the national history and houses the Ethnographic Museum and the House of Scientists, etc. The works of gifted sculptors are to be seen all around on the territory of the park.
The Clock Tower
The Clock Tower is a symbol of Razgrad. It was built in 18th century and was reconstructed in its present shape in 1864. The Tower differs from other similar towers in Bulgaria in its arch-shaped cornices and dome roof. These elements resemble church architecture. The Clock Tower is located in the very center of Razgrad, next to the new drama theater.
Chirch St. Nicolas The Thaumaturge
St. Nicolas The Thaumaturge Church is located in the old Varosha quarter. It was built in 1860 and is one of the most imposing Christian temples built in Northeast Bulgaria at that time. The church bell and the roof were built 1903.
Ibrahim Pasha Mosque
Ibrahim Pasha Mosque was built in 14th century, and is located in the center of Razgrad. According to the Turkish traveller Evliya Chellebi who had passed through this region in 17th century, in terms of solidity and magnificence, the mosque could only be compared to the Mosque of Rustem Pasha in Constantinople.
Varosha Renaisance Quarter
The contemporary city of Razgrad first emerges as a Turkish settlement. Initially, in the old Varosha quarter lived the so called non-muslims - primarely Jewish and Armenians. After their expell, in 19 century this quarter turns entirely into a place where only Bulgarians lived. Part of the houses are well preserved and restorated. They represent the traditional Bulgarian and rennaisance architecture and atmosphere.
The Ethnographic museum represents the traditional culture of a local ethnographic group called "kapantsi". Also presented are their festive calendar, way of life, clothing, decorations etc. The museum is located in the old Varosha quarter. There are also the specialized museums "Dimitar Nenov" and "Stanka and Nikola Ikonomovi".
The Historical Museum
The Historical Museum, founded by him in 1887, now is works with and popularizes over 53 000 movable cultural monuments. The largest exhibition is the archaeological, which has a depository, a specialized library, restoration studios and a photographic darkroom.
Distances from the municipal centre Razgrad to:
There are bus lines to all municipalities of the district, the neighbouring districts and the towns of Bourgas and Sofia. The strongly worn-out bus fleet is a problem. The railway transport is less used largely because of the longer time of travelling.