Mechka is a village in the Central part of Northern Bulgaria. It is situated in Ivanovo Municipality, Ruse Region.
There is another village in Bulgaria with the same name in Pleven Municipality, Pleven Region.
The village is 19 km south-west of Ruse, 13 km north-west of Ivanovo, 207 km in the same direction of Varna, 50 km east of Svishtov and 283 km north-east of Sofia. Regular bus transportation to town of Ruse.
The population is approximately 670 people.
Mechka spreads out the banks of Danube River, at 90 m above the sea level. The lands are plain and hilly, and the climate - humid continental. Winter is cold and summer is dry and hot.
The village is provided with water and electricity. Communication equipment is available as well (telephone net, mobile operators and television). There is a town-hall, a post office, a police inspector on duty, a community centre with a library, an orthodox church, a stadium and commercial areas.
The nearest education centres are in town of Ruse and village of Ivanovo. The nearest medical service is in the neighbouring village of Pirgovo (5 km).
Local place of interest is the church 'St St Peter and Pavel' - finished and sanctified in 1925. The church is in 'Byzantium style' with high architecture value. It is known as one of the most beautiful temples in Ivanovo region. It is the biggest pride of the local population and the cultural history of Mechka.
There is a historical monument in honour of the Russian soldiers who died in the Russian-Turkish War (1878).
'Dekilitash' natural site is situated 30-40 m away of the Danube River, in the area of 'Stalpishte'. It represents two big stone posts, dating from the Mesozoic Era. The legends tell that Krali Marko (Bulgarian folklore hero) lifted the stone with its small finger (symbol of power and courage).
Ornithological zone 'Mechka Fishing Ponds' is inhabited by more than 177 bird species - 62 of them are in the 'Red Book' of Bulgaria. The zone is on the territory of the previous big riverside marsh on area of 4 450 000 sq. m and includes the adjoining islands of Batin and Bezimen.
Basarbovo rocky monastery is operational and well-preserved. It is about 22 km away of the village, at the picturesque valley of Rusenski Lom River.
The riverside of Danube is excellent for recreation. Good opportunities for fishing, sun-bathing and boating. 'Stalpishte' area has two complexes with tourist bungalows, one restaurant and one swimming pool.
Internet sources: mechka.multiply.com; ivanovo.bg
Pictures: mechka.multiply.com; panoramio.com