Razlog Municipality is situated in South-western Bulgaria, in the middle of Razlog valley, along the stream of Mesta river and in the foot of three mountains - Pirin, Rila and the Rhodope Mountains. The average altitude is 900 meters. The territory of the municipality is 439.86 square meters. It is bordered on the South to the Gotze Delchev valley through the Momina Klisura defile, and on the West to the saddle of Predel.
Razlog Municipality is neighbouring to several other municipalities with centres the towns of Bansko - 6km, Kresna, Belitsa, Simitli, Samokov and Blagoevgrad. The administrative centre of the municipality is connected with the towns of Velingrad, Septemvri and Gotze Delchev through the E-86 international road, as well as with the projected international highway between Sofia and Drama (Greece). There is a narrow-gauge railway line crossing the municipality, connecting the village of Dobrinishte with the town of Septemvri. A very important factor defining the local economic development is the closeness of administrative centres like the capital Sofia, the cities of Blagoevgrad, Pazardjik and Plovdiv.
In a cultural and historic aspect, the Municipality of Razlog is famous with its well-preserved Thracian cultural monuments. There are several plates found, dated from the 3rd century B.C. From later times there are remains of castles, monasteries and churches found. The remains of the Saint Ilia monastery are characteristic for the Early-Byzantine Christianity from the 4th until the 6th century; the Kalyata castle is typical for the Middle Ages. Another interesting monument is the Saint Theodor Thyron and Saint Theodor Stratilat church in the village of Dobarsko, which was built in 1614 and is very well preserved nowadays with its unique wall paintings. It is a cultural monument under the protection of UNESCO.
Town of Razlog (13,911 inhabitants, known as Mehomia until 1923- comes from Trakian language meaning "My Victory". ), is the economic, cultural and administrative center of Razlog Municipality, and brings the spirit of the Bulgarian Revival and culture. Having visited the town, you will be able to see over 41 houses built in the typical architectural style of the Razlog-Chepino houses, which have been declared as cultural monuments. The old houses (built in 1930) situated in the town's center, the verdancy of the parks' areas, the freshness of the plentiful water, and the great panorama views towards Pirin and Rila Mountains affect the unforgettable feeling of the visitor. The Sveto Blagoveshtenie and Sveti Georgi churches, the town's History Museum, the Kpire Maxev house, and the fulling-mill on the Yazo River are only some of the local landmarks.
In the site of Stolovatets (situated on 5 km to the West from Razlog) there are remains of a Thracian sanctuary found, dated from the end of the Bronze Epoch and the beginning of the Iron Epoch. There are also two big marble plates with embossed decoration found, related to a sanctuary, dedicated to the sun. Almost 2 kilometres away from the town, in an ancient necropolis, there were an iron sword and two knives found, as well as rings, a bracelet and a fibula. There are remains of an ancient village (cultural monument) on 10 um away from Razlog, near the site of Predel. On 11 km northwest from the town there are remains of the Early-Christianity (5th-6th century) church, know as the Saint Ilia church, which is declared a cultural monument. Parts of the altar wall are very well preserved, also mouldings and columns with leaf-shaped decoration.
Other cultural monuments are the castle from the Late Ancient ages, situated in the north foot of the Pirin Mountain (in the Kalyata site, on 19 km southwest from Razlog), as well as the ancient village in the foot of these slopes (the site of Krushe, 8 km southwest from Razlog). During the Middle Ages life in the site of Krushe is continuing - there are remains of villages found, a flat necropolis and a small church, called Pisanata (The Painted Church), most probably because of the wall-paintings inside. From the same period are the remains of the Holy Trinity church (2 km west from the town). Near the Pisanata church is the foundation of a Late-Middle-Ages church, called The White Church which is also declared as a cultural monument. Another interesting landmark is the Saint Ekaterina church situated in the site of Katarino, built in the beginning of the Ottoman slavery, later destroyed, but today it is restored. Probably the site has been a cult place for Thracians and Slavs.