Karnobat municipality is situated in South-eastern Bulgaria and it falls within the administrative boundaries of Burgas region. Rishki Passage links the municipality to Northern Bulgaria. On the north it borders with Sungulare municipality, on the east with Aitos and Kameno municipalities, on the south with Sredets municipality and on the west with Straldzha municipality.
Karnobat is an important transportation centre with regular bus lines to towns of Burgas, Sliven, Yambol, Aitos, Sredets, Kotel, Shumen, etc. The town is the fourth most significant railway station in the country. Sofia-Karlovo-Burgas railway line passes through Karnobat and a line for railway station Komunari starts from there - which goes to Northern Bulgaria.
Karnobat's geographical location makes the municipality very important part of the country's transportation system. This gives excellent advantage to the bigger part of the other municipalities. Essential transportation lines pass through there which lead to the all directions from the town. The main railway lines for Shumen and Varna make the municipality the only one which connects the northern and southern parts of Eastern Bulgaria.
The municipality relief is mainly with plains which are cut by the valleys of Mochuritsa River and Rusokastrenska River. The territory drains itself to Mochuritsa River, which pours its waters in Tundzha River and to Rusokastrenska River. Mochuritsa length is 85.9 km. A lot of the tributaries are with artificial dams and micro dams with average square surface of 50-80 dca. Their water is used for irrigation.
The territories of Karnobat fall into the transitional-continental climate area. The year average temperature of the air is 11.4°С and the January average temeprature is 0.1°С. These temperatures define the climate as a mild one.
Historical sources indicate that since XV century the town has always been an administrative, business and commercial center with a traditional yearly fair. In information and itinerary notes the town is mentioned under different names - Karinovasa, Karinabad, Karnovo and others.
Territory of today's town has been inhabited since ancient times. Karnobat evidence for this is the Karnobatska settlement mound and Markela Roman fortress (Kale Krumovo, Hisarlaka), by which during VIII century Khan Kardam withheld brilliant victory over the Byzantines. Since then the settlement is a Bulgarian one. It falls under the Ottoman rule in 1371. In Dubrovnishki document from 1595 is noted to be named as Karanovo, as indeed it was called by the Bulgarians. In 1762 the dubrovnichan Bozhkovich first mentioned it with its present name - Karnobat. At that time the town was an important sheep breeding center, famous with its local sheep breed.
In the Renaissance Karnobat becomes an unitive center of cultural and educational development of the region. The town has a significant contribution to the church struggles during the Renaissance - in the mid sixties of the ХІХ century bright Karnobat people expel the Anhialskiya bishop, by which the Greek influence is finally removed. During the Russian-Turkish War from 1877-1878 the region became a victim of outrageous bashi-bazouks and Circassians. Liberation of Karnobat is on January 24, 1878 which opens way for major socio-economic reconstruction.
Medieval fortress Markeli - situated 7.5 km to the west of the town on a hill by Mochuritsa river. The archeological excavations, which have started in 1986 have found a medieval basilica from VІ century, an ancient Bulgarian church from Х century, a Byzantine church from ХІ century. The medieval town has been an important strategic centre from a military point of view as well as a commercial and economic centre with a key role in the earlier history of the Bulgarian-Byzantine relations. Here is the place of the victorious battle of khan Kardam against the Byzantines.
Sinabey Hamam - a Turkish public bath in the south (ancient) part of the town of the last quarter of ХV century. It is one of the most ancient entirely preserved buildings in South Bulgaria.
The Clock Tower - it is located near by the public bath and has been built in 1874 as a town symbol of the Revival of the prosperous commercial crafts centre.
Kosten Church - 20 km to the north of Karnobat, in the village of Kosten, with a preserved architectural style of the Revival and interesting mystically-religious stone plastic arts. The situated near by bust-sculpture of the famous Bulgarian man from the Revival Sofronii Vrachenski connects the church with an interesting event of his life since the end of ХVІІІ century, when he has serviced in Karnobat parish still as a priest Stoyko Vladislavov.
St. John Theologian church - built up after 1878 by Tryavna master Gencho Kanev. It impresses with original architectural elements and its wood-craved iconostasis, prepared by masters from Debar school, which is second of importance in South Bulgaria after the iconostasis in the church “St. Virgin Mary” in Pazardzhik. The church feast is in the day of its patron saint.
The mosque - built in 1821.
The Jewish graveyard - a Jewish necropolis 1 km. to the south of the town, with one of the richest in Bulgaria plastic arts and written information for the Jewish colony.
The town museum benefits from valuable archeological and ethnographic collections.
The houses of Nikifor Minkov and Saroolu Bei may be interesting to you with its wood-carvings.
Internet sources: Wikipedia and the official site of town of Karnobat