It is a permanent exhibition representing the sample interior of a Ruse town house from the late XIX and early XX century.
The house where the Museum of Urban Life is located, was built in the 60s of the XIX century. It housed the consulate of Prussia. After the liberation of Bulgaria (1878), the house became the property of the rich merchant Stephen Kamburov - a prominent citizen and member of the Committee for adoption of the Bulgarian Exarchate in Constantinople (1870). At his invitation in 1886 from Bucharest to Ruse came the Austrian painter Charles Shausberg who painted the walls and ceilings on the second floor, as it was fashionable at that time. The frescoes and the signature of Shausberg are still preserved.
The exhibition at the Museum of Urban Life is from a later period compared with the style of the house. The exhibition focuses on the signs of modernity in daily life and the celebration of the local citizens from the late XIX and early XX century. The museum has been open to visitors since 1987. This is the first ethnographic museum in the country that presents urban (bourgeois) culture.
On the first floor temporary exhibitions present various collections of the museum, illustrating the town's developed commercial and cultural connections with Europe. The theme "Food and nutrition in Modernity" was exposed in 2007. The theme illustrates the changes that have occurred in urban kitchen. Public catering establishements appear as a consequence of the emerging need for leisure.
The second floor of the house represents an example of a rich interior with typical urban house rooms - guest hall, music hall for concerts, master bedroom with furniture from Austria and Germany.
The Museum of Urban Life is also known as Calliope's House. Urban myths tell that the beautiful girl Calliope / wife of the Prussian Consul / was the mistress of Midhat Pasha.
TRANSPORT AND ACCOMMODATION
The house-museum is easily reached as it is located in the town of Ruse. It is situated on 36 Ferdinand Str and is open to visitors daily from 9 till 17:30 / except Monday and Sunday /.
The town of Ruse offers excellent accommodation conditions for tourists - several hotels, guest houses, restaurants and entertainment establishments are available for tourists.
Uzana - the heart of the Balkans. In its embrace, the mountains has kept this extraordinary place where you can fully take charge with power and hours to enjoy its grandeur and beauty of nature.Far from the urban vanity you will find abundance of colors and shades, serenity and peace of mind. Here the warbling of the birds and the whisper of wild grasslands will put a spell on you forever.
The natural phenomenon Chervenitsa is a molded boulder, rising more than 150 m above the terrace of the river Iskar in village of Kunino. It is located about 46 km east of Vratsa and approximately 120 km northeast of Sofia.See on the map
Natural Reserve Taukliman typical landslide with length of about 4 km, formed between the edge of the Dobrudzhansko plateau and the coast.
The Early Christian basilica Sveta Sofia is an active Orthodox church in the center of Sofia city. The church was probably built in the early VI century on the ruins of early Christian tombs from II - IV century and the ruins of two earlier churches from IV-V century. It is located among the necropolis of the ancient Serdica.See on the map
The monastery of Lazdha or Ivaylovrad monastery "St. Konstantin and Elena" is situated close to Ladzha quarter in the town of IvaylovgradSee on the map